8.14.2011

49 by 29: July 8 - I like this life on the road


Coffee:
Fresh-ground, percolated French roast prepared by our new friend, Anthony, and served with condensed milk.
Anthony also made us some incredible omelets served on fine China dishes because he realized recently that life is too short to not enjoy the special dishes given to him by his mother. Too true.

From the journal:
Tonight we camped near Weston, West Virginia, at the Broken Wheel Campground. We had so much time to set up camp that we rigged up a tarp to cover the picnic table for some late-night card games in the rain. (Just a hint, though: Jer is the best player of Egyptian Rat Killer I've ever come across so don't expect to win should you ever come face-to-face with him across a card table.) Pair the good-natured card game fun with some Yuengling beer (from America's oldest brewery), and it was a fine night indeed.

***

I feel I have grown quite accustomed to "roughing it" and will miss the simplicity of setting up and tearing down the tent, scrounging for firewood, and cooking simple meals on the camp stove. I will definitely miss that first sip of camp coffee in the morning.

I like this slower pace of life. I like not showering for days, and sleeping in my clothes, and not looking in the mirror. I enjoy the birds and fireflies that make their home with us as we pass through. I like not compulsively checking my email and facebook.

I like this life on the road.

Driving the hills of West Virginia...but this photo really doesn't do them justice. They were quite lovely.

 Happy snappin'.

 Our camp site near Weston, West Virginia. A bit soggy but so green and quiet. Can you see Jeremy in this photo?

A proper set-up for some serious card game action.

No comments: