8.22.2011

49 by 29: July 12 - Re-charge and ride a bike




Coffee:
-No coffee this morning. Yeah, I know, it's a shocker. I am drinking a cup of Earl Grey with whole milk at the Te Cafe on Murray Avenue in Pittsburgh. It is a charming tea in a charming place. There is good music, nice tables, and an impressive selection of teas...black, green, white, exotic. And my blueberry muffin tastes like it has a hint of lavender in it. I REALLY need to try baking with lavender.

-Small house blend from Commonplace Coffeehouse Roastery, a bustling coffee house that appears to cater to technology-laden hipsters. I think everyone inside the shop had a Mac or iPad or Smart Phone...or all three. Luckily I had my borrowed iPad so I could fit in, too.

From the journal:
I did my laundry this morning then walked down to Murray Avenue. As I was walking, I realized it was the first time (other than an hour in New Orleans) I'd been alone since we started this trip. That is probably good. Being the introvert writer that I am, I need some time to re-charge now and again.

It sometimes scares me how "at home" I feel on the road because I know I have to return to normal life soon. I pray I will learn to delight in the interactions and small adventures of each day. I also pray God will soon lead me to...the next thing. Whatever it may be.

I am tired today. It seems the longer you stop somewhere, the more tired you get and the more money you spend. On the road, you just go, and food and sleep come more naturally. With all the distractions of city life, time for food and sleep and introspection must be carved out and taken almost selfishly.

Anyway, that sounds more mumbo-jumbo-ish than I wanted, but that's okay. Let's just say I understand Jeremy's urge to get back on the road some days.

***

I bought a new coin purse to replace the one that was stolen. It is a colorful green purse from Ten Thousand Villages, and some of the profits from the sale will help support the Vietnamese women who made it by hand.

Take that, thieves! What you meant for harm can be used for good because that's the way God works.

***

After dinner (Mexican salad made by Jared...yum!), Jared and I went on a bike ride. And what a bike ride it was!

We went through a cemetery;
over a stone wall;
through giant mud puddles;
over logs;
under trees;
down a slippery, rocky single track meant for much more accomplished mountain bikers than I;
to the edge of a cliff;
up an 800-foot hill;
over bridges;
under the interstate;
over the interstate;
down, down, fast down Dallas Avenue;
through the cemetery where fireflies danced around gravestones;
home.

The ride was about 8 miles in all and was an absolute kick! And I owe Julia a special shout-out for letting me borrow her bike! Thanks, Julia!

 If you're ever in Pittsburgh and jonesin' for some tea, try this place. They bring it out on a platter with a timer to tell you when to stop steeping the tea for perfect flavor.


 Mountain biking. In Pittsburgh. Who knew?

No comments: