8.16.2011

49 by 29: July 10- Urban kayaking and a pierogi party


Coffee:
Unlimited refills at Pamela's P&G Diner on Murray Avenue in Pittsburgh.

From the journal:
Jared and I helped his friend Jo Anne move into a new apartment. There were a lot of people, so the load was light. I enjoyed being part of the effort and hope it was an encouragement to Jo Anne.

After everything had been unloaded, Jared and I went to Pamela's P&G Diner on Murray Avenue. A cash only establishment, it served only breakfast. That is a beautiful concept. Why ruin beautiful breakfast choices with the clutter of lunch and dinner menu items? I got blueberry crepes, and Jared got a ham and cheese omelet. Then we shared, and life was good.

Once finished with our breakfast for lunch, we went kayaking. Yeah, kayaking. In Pittsburgh. I never expected that adventure! We headed upstream on the Allegheny River from the 5th Street bridge, circled Washington Island, then headed downstream to Point State Park. We rounded the park into the Monongahela River and tagged the Ohio River on our way back. I truly enjoyed paddling in three rivers within two hours and seeing the striking Pittsburgh skyline from our yellow tandem.

After kayaking, we drove up Mt. Washington to get the classic view of Pittsburgh then went to a pirogi party for post-doctorate mathematicians at our friend Julia's place. Once the math talk began, I felt like I was in a foreign country listening to the lilt of a foreign tongue! But the pirogis were delicious, and I enjoyed the glimpse into the world of mathematical academia.

 Me and Jared and Julia. And an orange cone...

 Pamela's P&G Diner on Murray Avenue in Pittsburgh. Good times.


 Jared powering us from the back of the kayak.

 Me taking photos instead of paddling...

 I always get a kick out of the photos Jared takes of me cause he's really tall and I'm really short.


 Classic Pittsburgh view from Mt. Washington. It is one of the nicest skylines I've seen.



I'm not so good at those arm-extended self portraits. I've included this series of photos to provide folks with something to laugh at for the day. Go ahead. Laugh. I am. 

No comments: