8.31.2011

49 by 29: July 19 - Up with the sun for a day full of fun

 Hazelnut blend from Wawa, enjoyed on beach at Wildwood, NJ.

Diner Coffee, Wildwood, NJ.

Coffee:
-Hazelnut blend from Wawa in Wildwood, NJ. Enjoyed on the beach at sunrise. I love that Wawa, coffee, beach, and sunrise were just mentioned in one thought. You KNOW the day is going to be good when it starts with that combo!

-Thick house blend in a classic diner mug at the Star Diner Cafe. Perhaps not the best coffee in the world, but good in principle since it was enjoyed with a good friend over a diner breakfast in New Jersey.

From the journal:
Jer and I woke up early (before 5 a.m.) to watch the sunrise over the beach at Wildwood. I was busy taking photos until the batteries in my camera died. Since the van was locked with my key inside it and Jeremy was a ways down the beach, I actually had to sit still and talk to God.

Let's just say I'm glad the batteries died. I am so easily distracted sometimes.

While watching the sunrise and thinking about God's grace and God's judgement (see my previous post struggling with these issues here), I realized that I would not want to worship an incomplete God. I may not like the idea of God as Judge, but I also do not want to pick and choose parts of God to love. I do not want to serve a God of my making. I don't see any good in that.

***

After the sunrise and a hearty diner breakfast at the Star Diner, we drove around Wildwood a bit then headed to Cape May on the New Jersey mainland. There we gathered polished stones on the beach, visited the lighthouse, and saw what time can do to places in our childhood memories when we saw that an old "fortress" from Jer's youth that used to be nearly submerged in the ocean is now in the middle of a sandy beach.

We went to the Cape May Zoo, which is FREE and quite remarkable. I love zoos. We then cruised around Rowan University, where Jeremy went to college, and checked out a few more places he's lived. Wow. He's moved a lot...no wonder life on the road, staying in new places every few days, comes so naturally to him.

After visiting the college, we met Jeremy's parents, Jon and Marian, at a gas station near Rowan. They were on their way back to Wildwood after spending some time in Colorado. It was nice to chat with them for a bit. They were genuinely sweet, wonderful folk. Thanks, Jon and Marian, for taking the time to stop and chat!

We returned to Delaware for a nice family dinner and hang-out time. I cannot believe that tomorrow is the last day on this particular journey with Jer.

But I know there will always be another adventure... 

Sunrise over the beach at Wildwood, NJ.


Boy fishing at Cape May, NJ.

Cool fence in rocks at Cape May, NJ.

This "hand" drier in a tourist shop at Cape May, NJ, was hung at waist height. But, according to the photo instructions for use, it is meant only for your head. Push button. Bend over. Emerge looking like Justin Bieber.

A FREE zoo!

I wish I could stand in my cereal bowl.

Giraffes are so cool.

No comments: