6.11.2010

The Wylds premiere

The moment I wrote the title of this post, I realized I've been pretty vague about what in the world I've been up to the last five months of my life. So, for any of you readers who don't know what my job actually is, I'll give a brief synopsis.

I am a bonified writer: penniless, homeless, addicted to coffee, and completely happy.

This is how it happened: Back in November, when I was working for Operation Christmas Child in Denver, my brother called with an interesting proposition. He wanted to know if I'd be interested in moving to Montana to write a couple books based on his most recent movie. I thought about it for a few days and called back to say, resoundingly, YES! Things came together, and, come January, I was ranch-sitting for my sister-in-law's parents and writing full time. When the ranch-sitting gig came to a close in March, another opened up. My days consisted of hauling hay, feeding five horses, caring for three dogs, and continued writing and editing.

As of yesterday, I finished the fourth -- and final -- draft of the junior novel. The children's book is currently being illustrated by my very talented sister-in-law and will need just a few revisions over the next couple weeks.

So what, exactly, are these books, these 40,000 words, about? When can you read them? And did I say there's a movie, too?

Good questions! Let me start with the movie because that's really the most important thing. My brother wrote, directed, and edited a feature-length family film based on John Bunyan's "The Pilgrim's Progress." It is called, "The Wylds," and it is awesome!

Set in a post-apocalyptic future, the film follows Chris, a runaway boy, and his friend, Faith, as they journey from a life of thievery in the City of Destruction to Celestial City to find Chris' father and a better life. Along the way, they meet a slough of crazy characters and must overcome all kinds of obstacles, including a bog monster, mutant bugs, lava rivers, giant robots, and a video game city that appears to satisfy a kid's every desire. Ultimately, this Oliver-Twist-meets-the-prodigal-son tale is about discovering just how hard it is to stay on the right path in life.

The movie has an official release date of August 31, 2010, through Word Entertainment. I encourage each and every one of you to buy a DVD (or ten!) and check out this fantastic film.

As for the books: They, too, will be released through Word Entertainment in mid- or late-September. We are still working on specifics but expect to be able to buy them at Barnes and Noble and your local Christian bookseller. The junior novel is aimed at 8 to 12 year olds, and the kid's book is for those aged 3 to 7. I am really pleased with how they turned out, and I look forward to sharing them with the world. 

For more information and updates on the progress of the movie and books, please visit http://www.thewylds.com/ and "The Wylds" blog at http://www.pilgrimproductions.blogspot.com/. I'll do my best to keep you posted here, too.

And now, on to some photos from the premiere of "The Wylds," held June 4, 2010, at the Liberty Theater in Kalispell, Montana.

Me, Andy, Marianne, Jim, and Ryan heading into the theater. Marianne, Jim, and Ryan all worked on special effects for the movie.


Andy introducing the movie.


Me and my folks waiting for the show to begin.


Cast and crew who were able to make it for the big night. We had folks come from L.A., Portland, Salt Lake City and Wyoming.

No comments: