6.30.2010

Alaska: June 25

My last day of working at Earth Acres Farm in Homer, Alaska. The work was hard today. Genevieve and I cleaned out the hay barn to make room for new hay. This involved raking lots of old, moldy hay onto a tarp. It also involved wearing bandanas bandit-style to avoid breathing in the dust, mold, and rotten egg smell emitting from eggs that weasels had hidden in the hay for a midnight snack. Once the barn was cleared of about 250 pounds of old hay, we drug the tarp 300 feet away to spread the seed into the horse’s winter corral.
Our other job for the day was taking down an old wire fence. This involved bushwhacking through raspberry bushes, alders, and pushki (otherwise known as cow parsnip) to wind up wire. A little known fact about pushki is that its juice, if it gets on your skin, can give you third-degree burns if the sun hits the spot it touched. It is photosensitive. Goodness, God created a wild, weird, and wacky world!
I have been so blessed by my time with the Tymraks. They are honest, real, hardworking, hospitable, fun, and socially conscious. I hope I have been a blessing, as well.


WWOOFer bandit.

It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Goodbye little cabin on the bay.


My host family: Evelyn, Willie, and Genevieve. The youngest daughter, Loulou, was away for the night.

No comments: