6.26.2010

Alaska: June 22

My first day of working on the farm. I dug giant weeds out of the horse pasture with a hoe. I also used a hand saw to hack down elderberry trees in another horse pasture. We did this so the horses would be able to see their perimeters clearly and not hurt themselves if they should ever bolt. One thing that could make them bolt: bears. It is crazy how much of a reality bears are here. Also, moose are a problem. This morning, a sow and her kid bolted down the hill and through one of the fences.

While digging weeds out of the ground, I saw about 700 spiders scurrying here and there. Not kidding. Seven hundred. But I don't think I got even one spider bite. Maybe they are not so bad after all.

I enjoyed the work very much. Again, there was such simplicity in working with my hands beneath the sun, with a view of the water and mountains all around. I also rode Wingo, the old white horse. Beau, a bay horse, ate my fruit snacks right out of my jacket pocket. And we are all waiting for Red Moon to deliver her foal. It would be so neat to be here for that!!


The view of Earth Acres Farm from my porch.

Genevieve and Loulou with Beau and Wingo.

Horses.

I'm on a horse. (Old Spice tribute)

A horse and his girl.

No comments: