3.16.2010

Lent: Day Twenty-Four

There is now less than a month until tax day. And whether you filed in January or will be rushing to the post office to make that infamous postmark date, this is a time of year when money is definitely on America's mind.

It's been on mine lately. Which is weird because I rarely, rarely, rarely worry about money. Then again, I've never really committed to an unknown period of earning no income. I guess it's official: I am a writer!

Anyway, I was going through my old bank statements today, gearing up to file my own taxes, when I came across something that made me feel absolutely silly for worrying even one moment about my finances. It made me feel rather giddy, actually.

The miracle: a bank statement I kept from college. The balance: $40.

Forty dollars. And yet I somehow managed to graduate footloose and debt free. I had food on the shelves in my rental. I had coffee baristas who let me pay in pennies...even when the pennies didn't quite add up to what they should have. I had a car. A computer. A bike. Friends. Family. Shoes. Sunshine. Snow. Grass. Mountains.

Love. God. Life.

I was so rich! And I still am.

I am doing what I LOVE. I have people to LOVE. I am LOVED. More than I deserve. Thank you, Father God. Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me; 
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
~Proverbs 30:7-8

No comments: