3.03.2010

Lent: Day Thirteen

When I was a little girl, my Mom sung me the same song almost every night. She would sit on the edge of my bed and rub my back or push my hair behind my ears and sing softly. When she finished, she would lean over and kiss my forehead. That song and that kiss became the signs that I could sleep in peace, knowing I was safe and loved.

As I grew older, the ritual was shortened to just the kiss on the forehead. Even now, at the age of 28, when I go home I can expect that kiss -- as well as one from my Dad. And still those pecks mean: Goodnight, little girl. You are loved. 

Tonight I was listening to the CD "Holy, Holy, Holy" by Crystal Lewis, and "my" song came on. I became lost in memories of home and in the comforting words of the song. And so, reader, I share it with you. May it encourage you as much as it has always encouraged me.


Great is Thy Faithfulness
Thomas Chisholm

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my father!
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not:
As thou hast been Thou forever wilt be. 

Chorus:
Great is Thy faithfulness, Great is Thy faithfulness,
Morning by morning new mercies I see:
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me!

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth.
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide,
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song! Yay for feeling loved. :-)

Anonymous said...

He was faithful then, He's faithful now, always will be. thanks for the wonderful memory.