3.05.2010

Lent: Day Fifteen

If you'll allow me a moment of pride, I just want to say I built the best fire I've built in my life last night. It ignited fast and furious, without all the usual huffing and puffing on my end. Wood, kindling, and paper placement were perfect. It burned hot. And when I closed the damper, the glass front of the wood stove emitted that orangy-red glow that means: You're going to sleep warm and cozy tonight.

I cannot tell you how happy this all made me. Giddy as a school girl, I was.

My first thought after reveling in my glorious creation was actually the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace. It's an amazing story. You should check it out in Daniel 3:1-30.

My second thought was one of my favorite quotes, which I leave you with today:

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.
--Pierre Tielhard

1 comment:

The Bosnian Kat said...

I love this post! I hate it when I do something like that and I have no one near by to prove it to! And thanks for the great quote too.