10.01.2008

Funny the things...


WHERE I AM: At work. In my cubicle.
WHAT I DID TODAY: Bought stamps. Wrote some stories. Ate really good no-bake cookies.
WHAT I'M DRINKING: Odwalla Mo' Beta antioxidant fruit smoothie blend. Good and good for you.
WHO I MET TODAY: Over the internet, I met some nice people who are giving me a couch on which to sleep in Sacramento. Yay!
WHERE I'M GOING TOMORROW: To get my glasses adjusted. To work. In my cubicle. (I promise this will get more exciting once I hit the road.)

It's funny what things can bring you to tears. Like kids, for instance.
I am not one who oogles over kiddos. I like them. They seem to like me. I'd like to have my own some day.
Today, however, a little kiddo named Karina did more for me than she'll ever realize.
Karina is my best friend's girl. She's 2 years old today. It being her special day, I called her. I didn't expect much. And, word-wise, it wasn't a lengthy conversation. But it did manage to bust into my day and bring those aforementioned tears to my eyes.
"Hello Karina," I said.
"Hiiiiii," she answered, with a little prompting from Mom.
"Happy Birthday," I said.
"Tell her thank you for the present," Mom interjected.
"Thank yooouuu."
I giggled at the way the o's were drawn out.
"I love you Karina," I said, surprised at my own gushing feelings. I don't usually burst out like that.
But I'm glad I did.
"I love you toooo."
I melted. I stumbled through a few more words with Mom and hung up.
There was something about the I-barely-know-what-I'm-saying-but-I-mean-every-word sound in her little voice that snagged me unexpectedly.
It made my day. And I hope I can be a good enough "mom's friend" to make many days wonderful for her.

No comments: