10.14.2008

Harvard and a little history


Before I wax philosophical about Maine, I wanted to share a few thoughts about my time in Boston.

On Oct. 10, I visited Harvard University in Cambridge. Students played football in the yard and read books on the steps of the Widener Library. If I had been in journalist mode, I would have found out which books and talked literature or science with them, but alas, I was in gawking mode. So I too sat on the steps of the library and read a book: "The Great Shark Hunt" by Hunter S. Thompson. That made me feel smart and edgy. (Thanks, Andy, for giving me such a great book to read on my long hours on the train.)

After soaking in the smartness at Harvard, I soaked in the history at Christ Church and its old burying ground. Designed in 1759 by the colonies' first well-known architect, Peter Harrison, the church was operating during the Revolution. On New Year's Eve 1775, Mrs. George Washington requested a special service be held. She and president George attended, sitting in the front pew on the left-hand side of the sanctuary. I sat there too.

The next day, Oct. 11, I bummed around Boston. Some photos are included below in a previous entry.

I visited Boston Public Library, which is so grand it houses art exhibits along with its book collection. My favorite was one by photographer Yousuf Karsh. It was black-and-white photos of literary greats like John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemmingway and Albert Einstein. People viewing the exhibit were quiet, seemingly in respect of such great thinkers.

I then visited the Hall of Ideas, a fountain that spews quotes as well as water via LCD projections, in the First Church of Christ, Scientist. The sanctuary of that church, founded by Mary Baker Eddy, I believe, seats 3,000 people. That's a lot of brainwashing.

I got high...fifty-two stories high, to be exact. From the top of the Prudential Skytower, I could see all of Boston. My favorite sight was the white sail boats drifting in the harbor far below.

I ended my tour walking the Freedom Trail. I looked into the Old South Meeting House, otherwise known as the birthplace of the Revolution. After one particularly rousing meeting here, colonists went and held the Boston Tea Party.

The neatest thing I saw had nothing to do with history. After looking at stained-glass pictures of Christ in New Old South Church, I saw the love of Christ in action outside on the street. A young man eating a sandwich walked past an old homeless man begging for help. Without a second of hesitation or an air of look-at-me-doing-a-good-deed pride, the young man wrapped up his half-eaten sandwich and gave it to the homeless man. The gift was not big, but the way in which it was given was so real.

On a side note, I think Boston wins the prize for most crowded subway train I've ever seen...and smelled...and been pressed against sticky people in. Woo hoo.

No comments: