10.17.2008

Beauty painting beauty





Debbie and Dawn, from left to right, paint the beautiful foliage. These women taught me about fighting to spend time with my friends and loved ones.
Oct. 14, 2008

They were just two friends out painting the fall foliage together. Dawn and Debbie, from New Hampshire and Colorado, set up easels near the river. They squirted paint onto their palettes. They gazed at the yellows and reds and greens and oranges before them and touched brush to paper to capture the kaleidoscope of color.

They were searching for beauty. But when I walked up to say hello, I wanted to tell them they already had it. These two women in their early 50s were more stunning than their golden backdrop. Gray hair tucked into painter’s caps, aprons tied and smiles wide, they were obviously enjoying the scenery and each other’s company. I admired their simplicity and their fight to maintain it by spending a day painting together.


I want to be like that. I don’t want life to sweep me away in a rush of to-dos and selfish ambition. I want to be a good friend, a good daughter and a good sister. I hope someday to be a good wife, selfless and loving and striving always to show my husband God's love. And I want to always have time for the people who grace my life with theirs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautimus, hannah. just beautimus!!!