7.02.2010

Alaska: June 29

Josh got off a little early today and we hightailed it down the Peninsula to beat traffic and be on the Russian River by 7. That’s right: We did a midnight fishing run.

Fishing license and fly rod in hand, I cast my line into one of the world’s renowned rivers. I was seeking sockeye salmon – and another good story to live.

I caught the latter, but the first was more elusive. I did snag several river bottom stones, a few tree limbs and Josh’s line here and there. I also dragged out a nice 5-pound rotting fish carcass. But it doesn’t matter. We fished until nearly midnight under long rays of light and drove home wet and happy.


I challenged the Russian River to a duel.

We fought long and hard.

I won, but the prize was kind of rotten. I told the river it could keep its stinkin' fish. =)

No comments: