7.06.2010

Alaska: July 3

I bought my first backpacking backpack today! I was going to rent one from REI, but it fit terribly and I realized that for about three times the cost to rent, I could own. I had tried on a pack at an outdoor store downtown that fit quite nicely, so I bought it. That is a purchase I’ve wanted to make for about seven years now…
…And backpacking is something I’ve wanted to do for about 14 years. Today, I fulfill that goal. Today, Josh and I backpack into the Alaskan wild.

My first backpacking trip with one of my best friends.

The trail into Crescent Lake. The first mile and a half were pretty steep, and then the trail leveled and meandered through alpine meadows full of purple, yellow, white and orange flowers.

Mountains!

More mountains!

Due to a lack of trees with solid limbs, Josh rigged our bear bag between two pines, using brute climbing skill and rope and pulley engineering. Ten feet up and ten feet out. Check.

Our camp site near Crescent Lake in Chugach National Forest.

No comments: