9.24.2011

49 by 29: Follow the pink highlighted line...


49 by 29: a journey with jeremy
From Florida to Philadelphia, with a slight detour through Arkansas and West Virginia, my friend Jeremy helped me check off states 48 and 49 in my quest to see all 50.

I love a good map. I love seeing where I started, where I ended, and where I wandered in between. I love that I can trace a squiggly line in 10 seconds that represents three weeks of meeting new people, seeing new sights, and learning new lessons about this whole business of living--and living well.

Thanks to a nice boss who let me off for a month, and a good friend who likes to drive more than anyone I know, I was able to see 49 states by 29 years of age. And though it seems at times a silly goal to see all 50 of our United States, it's a goal I've never regretted "going for." Goals are good. They simultaneously move you forward and face you backward as you appreciate what you've attained and strive for what is yet to come. And, ideally, goals will help you stop right here, in this moment, to simply enjoy.

I don't know when I'll hit state #50. But I do think I'll dance a little jig when I step into the sands of Hawaii. 

2 comments:

Joel said...

you're limiting this to states, right, or will it be expanded to territories?

Hannah said...

Well, originally the plan was just states. But I've had a few friends inform me that it is unfair of me to ignore the territories, so I'm having doubts. Still, I love a good round number like 50, so, at the risk of being perceived as callous toward the U.S. territories, I am going to keep this goal states-only.