10.03.2011

49 by 29: A recap...and the rest of the story

So, to recap this crazy 49 by 29 story:

Back in May, I had a Bilbo Baggins moment and found myself saying, as Bilbo said in "The Hobbit": "I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging..."

So I emailed my friend Jeremy. And we hatched a plan to drive from Florida to Philadelphia with a slight detour through Arkansas and West Virginia. The plan would serve two main purposes: Get me into my 48th and 49th state (Arkansas and West Virginia) and get Jeremy "home."

My boss was kind enough to give me the month of July off for this adventure (and a special side trip to Indianapolis to celebrate the wedding of two good friends), so I went. I flew to Orlando, and Jer and I drove and drove and drove.

The last 30 or so posts on this blog have detailed that journey, so I won't hash it out again here. But I do have a few fun stats, for those of you who like that kind of thing.

-We drove somewhere in the vicinity of 3,250 miles.

-Jeremy and I visited 14 states.

-I set foot in 18 states all in all...if you count airports. Since many of my friends hotly contest whether airports count or not, that number could also be 16 (taking into account my layovers in Minnesota and Michigan).

-We slept 9 nights in a tent...in 4 different states (Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee, and West Virginia).

-I slept in 16 different locations...8 on a ground pad in the tent, 6 on a bed in a house, 1 on a couch, and 1 on a bed in a hotel.

-The state we spent the least amount of time in: Virginia.

-The state we spent the most amount of time in: Pennsylvania.

-Favorite new music (for me): Damien Rice.

-Number of fast food meals from a chain restaurant: One...at Wendy's.

-Number of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches consumed: A lot.

-Most exotic meal: French from Paris 66 in Pittsburgh.

-Cups of coffee consumed (for me): 43...plus a few refills here and there, I'm sure. Also, 1 cup of tea, 2 lattes, and 2 blended coffees.

-Beer: Yuengling at campsite in West Virginia, imported triple-brew Trappist beer (best beer I've ever had) with friends in Pittsburgh, oatmeal stout at The Terminal in Chattanooga, German Hefeweizen at a German beer hall in Pittsburgh.

-Favorite tourist activity: Oooo, tough one. We didn't do many, but my top three would be: coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans, the Newseum in Washington DC, and the Indy 500 in Indy.

-Most unexpected adventure: Well, other than being robbed, I'd have to say riding a roller coaster in Wildwood, NJ. I honestly never thought that would happen in my lifetime. Kayaking in Pittsburgh and mountain biking in Delaware were also pleasant surprises in the journey.

-Oddest attraction: Fields of the Wood in Murphy, North Carolina. Definitely worth checking out if you're ever in the area.

-Laundry: 3 times...Chattanooga, Pittsburgh, New Castle.

-Did you really just write a stat about laundry?

-Yes, yes I did. Let's move on, shall we?

49 in 29 was a grand adventure. I am so glad Jer was willing to join in the journey with me. We met ambitious, compassionate, hospitable people; connected with old friends; met a few not-so-nice people; and saw and heard and felt so much. I'm looking forward to Hawaii someday, and Jeremy is always looking forward to some destination or another, but I want to end this post with "the rest of the story," as in, what happened in the days and weeks after we parted ways.

I'll start with me, so I can end with Jeremy's more exciting turn of events...

I returned to Wyoming and resumed my current job as a grant writer. I did a couple awesome backpacking trips with my dad. I spent time with dear friends. My company moved offices. I began volunteering at the senior center. I took up disc golf again. Life has gone on. And yet, I feel change coming. I miss journalism and am looking for ways to return to it. I have also been considering the mission field a bit more but am still in prayer on that one. Whatever is next, though, I am looking forward to it, knowing that God is the author of my life, and that He writes good stories.

As for Jeremy...he is engaged to be married! God reunited him with his dear friend Heather in Philadelphia and quickly made it clear to them that they were to marry. They share a love for Jesus, for hurting people, for travel, and for the Spanish language, and I know God will use their marriage and lifelong partnership to accomplish mighty things. That's a good end to this 49 by 29 story.

No comments: