9.12.2011

49 by 29: July 23 - Ben and Sarah get hitched



Coffee:
-Fresh ground Snooze blend...brewed in an ever faithful Mr. Coffee machine.

-Several cups at the wedding reception. How many is several, you ask? Ummmm, like 8.

From the journal:
The big day! Sarah Perrott becomes Sarah Hilmer!

I've never seen a wedding day that wasn't at least a bit on the frenzied side. It's always good frenzied, but frenzied nonetheless. How could it not be when months and months of planning finally have to "come together." There are a bajillion details, and a bajillion emotions, and a bajillion ways to fix the hair, the makeup, the dresses, the shoes.

But in the end, it all works. Or doesn't work. But at that point, it just doesn't matter. Two people who love each other are getting married. Two people are pledging til death us do part. It is a beautiful, sacred moment worth celebrating.

Anyway, it was a crazy, wonderful day. Here's the rundown:


Sarah prepared a pancake breakfast for friends and family who came from far away to attend the wedding...cause she's cool like that.

Then we drove to Fort Benjamin Harrison to check on the set-up of the ceremony and reception. Finding things in tip-top shape, we returned to Sarah's parents' house to get ready. I got dressed and ran to pick up a video camera for recording the ceremony while Sarah and her seven bridesmaids got their hair and make-up done.


Sarah put on her dress and "Sarah Green" shoes. As always, she looked absolutely stunning!


Photos were taken...lots and lots of photos.




Sarah, her seven bridesmaids, me, the photographer, and two drivers loaded into a white stretch limo. We started driving to the wedding site, but then Sarah saw a red barn she wanted to use as a setting for photos. So we pulled into the owner's driveway, knocked on his door, and explained why a gal in a wedding dress and seven gals in lapis-colored gowns were paying him a visit. He kindly agreed to let us use his barn (and horses) for a few photos. He even snapped a few photos of his own; it's not everyday a bridal party pulls up in a limo and asks to pose in front of your barn, you know.

The bridal party descends and bustles around the kind owner of the beautiful red barn.


Hold that pose...

And one more... (Kimber Shaw is an excellent photographer, should you ever need one in the Indianapolis area.)



We picked up both flower girls and took more photos.

We arrived at The Garrison at Fort Benjamin Harrison State Park and hid out in a room until the ceremonies began.





Music played. Ben arrived. The wedding party graced the aisle. Heads turned. Sarah entered. Her mother dabbed her eyes.

I was honored to read scripture in the ceremony (Colossians 3:12-17).

Ben and Sarah said their vows.

Man and wife.


The reception. I sat with Megan, Nannette, Bonnie, and Marcey...fellow Operation Christmas Child peeps from Sarah's time of serving with OCC in Ohio. They were lovely ladies, and I enjoyed the conversation.


Every guest received a bottle of Country Bob's All-Purpose Sauce...Ben's favorite.

I snapped a few silly photos in the photo booth. Dancing began, but I couldn't bring myself to join the group.

Sometimes I am the wall behind the wallflower.

I wish I would have danced. Next time, I will dance.

This time, I cleaned. And I suppose that is okay, except that it's awfully anti-social of me. Alas, it is water under the bridge.

Ben and Sarah are married, and I am truly, truly happy for them and glad to call them friends.

Perhaps someday it will be me. And perhaps not. Father, God, help me live with grace and joy and a servant's heart, come what may.

A coffee toast to a gosh darn cute, coffee-lovin', life-to-the-fullest livin' couple. Love yah bunches, Ben and Sarah Hilmer!

2 comments:

Joel and Annette said...

LOVE IT!! I'm so happy you were the photographer! Well done :)

Hannah said...

Thanks Annette! I wasn't THE photographer...as in the professional photographer...but I did enjoy snapping as many shots as I could. It was a beautiful wedding between two beautiful people, as you well know. Hope you and Joel are well!