11.14.2010

Vandolvaded

Vandolvade vb: To vandalize someone's personal property; esp vandalism that makes owner of said property feel uneasy and invaded.

I've been vandolvaded. Yes, it's a made-up word. You must forgive me; I've been reading 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac, and his free-wheeling beat prose is influential.

Anyway, back to the point.

My landlord called yesterday morning to tell me some bad news: "Your car was vandalized last night."

Me: "Seriously? That's weird. Is it the f-word or something bad I can't drive around with?"

Landlord: "It's just some stars. Seven other cars were hit, as well as a nearby house. The cops have already been here to take photos and do a report. You may want to call the police, though, and make sure they get your name." Pause. "I'm really sorry."

Me: "No need for you to apologize. Stuff happens. I'll go check it out."

"Just some stars" turned out to be poorly drawn representations of the Star of David. My star was on my hood, big and black. Now, I'm not Jewish, but I am a child of God, so I didn't mind the mark so much.

I did mind the Nazi swastika on the side of a nearby house, though.

I realize the handiwork in my alley was likely some youngsters raising a ruckus. That's pretty probable. Still, I don't think it's a good idea to mess around with symbolism that represents such atrocities--especially when my town is currently harboring three known anti-Semitic/white supremacist groups.

Yes, three. One is lead by a man who is allegedly connected with the murder of a U.S. District Judge's husband and mother. That same man was also kicked out of two other countries for violating hate speech laws before he landed here.

Two of the three white supremacist groups use the public library's meeting room to show videos promoting their perverted cause. They aim the First Amendment's right to free speech at library workers and law enforcement alike, threatening to shoot (i.e. sue) any challengers. And so, since the library's collection stands on the First Amendment, we are expected to tuck our tails and hand over the keys, lest we be hypocrites.

Well, I'll be the first to declare myself a First Amendment hypocrite. And I certainly hope our library and local law enforcement will do so soon. Free speech is not meant for those who threaten people and incite violence, those who walk the line so closely all it would take to make them do something punishable by law is a good punch in the face.

My brother helped me scrub the black paint off my car. It just took some soap and elbow grease. But I still feel icky and invaded when I think about it. And I wonder when this town will man up and fight for both the memory and the present and future dignity of not only God's Chosen People, but all mankind.