11.25.2010

Thanksgiving

Sometimes giving thanks hurts. In a good way.

When I strive to see all the good in my life, and, even more, when God enables me to see the good inside of the bad in my life, I become overwhelmed with this joyous feeling of awe and this incredulous feeling of, "Why me?"

Sometimes that "Why me?" is focused inward. I, as a sinful being, don't deserve anything. I deserve death and separation from God. And yet, God gives me life and life more abundantly. He gave his son, Jesus Christ, to die in my place that I might enjoy fellowship with Him--both on this earth and through eternity in heaven. That would have been enough, but then He also gives a roof over my head, food to eat and water to drink, two jobs, a loving family, supportive friends, thrilling adventures, and on and on and on.

Sometimes that "Why me?" is focused outward. I've seen heart-breaking poverty in El Salvador, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, and China. I've seen poverty under the bridge just blocks from my apartment. I've seen it through the pages of my reporter's notebook and through my camera's eye in Seattle and Denver and New York. I've seen it when patrons apply for a library card and are rejected because they have no permanent place to call home. And yet, here I sit on my comfy couch, listening to a CD, drinking coffee, writing on my laptop and texting on my cell phone all while surrounded by my bike and snowboard and a closet full of warm clothes.

It boggles the mind. It hurts the heart. In a good way.

I am grateful, but I hope I would be willing to give it all up if God asked that of me like He did of Hudson Taylor, a missionary to China who sold all his possessions to give to those he was serving and live among them as one of them. Until that day, should it come, I will be grateful.

And I will be generous--with my money, my possessions, my prayers, my time, my food, my encouragement, my voice for those who suffer, my written words, my care, and my empathy. As it says in Luke 12:48, "When someone has been given much, much will be required in return."

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope you are filled not only with good food and memories, but with a sense of God's goodness and love.

No comments: