11.01.2008

Donald Miller and The Goonies












From top to bottom, photos are:
1) A cluster of roses at Portland's International Rose Test Garden.
2) Joanna and I at the Tao of Tea teahouse in Sellwood, Oregon. Our host, Leecia, took us, and we had a wonderful time trying new treats and drinking new teas. I had oolong. Joanna had chai. Leecia had ginger/pear.
3) Me at the world's smallest park. It's 24 inches in diameter. And yes, it's in the middle of a busy intersection near Portland's waterfront.
4) A voodoo doughnut from Voodoo Doughnut. It's filled with red jelly, and really, quite gross. Voodoo Doughnuts is also famous for crazy donuts like chocolate frosted with Cocoa Puffs on top and apple fritters smothered in peanut butter and chocolate chips. Also quite gross. I guess you're paying for ambience.
5) Voodoo Doughnut sign. This place is almost legendary in Portland.

Oct. 29, 2008

I admit it. All my knowledge about Portland and Oregon comes from two sources: “The Goonies” and Donald Miller’s “Blue Like Jazz.” So imagine how thrilled I was when my host, Leecia, took me and my friend Joanna on a tour that included several Don Miller sights.
Lo and behold, he lives above the library in Leecia’s neighborhood of Sellwood, Oregon. We drove past. I fought an almost uncontrollable urge to knock on the door and express my love. Of the book, I mean. And…his other book, “To Catch a Dragon.” We also drove past Laurelhurst Park, oft mentioned in his writings. And he attends Imago Dei, the church Leecia attends.
I was almost overwhelmed when I learned all this. I told Leecia she could make a little side money off people like me by starting her own “Donald Miller Tour Company.” (That is so wrong; I can’t believe I said it.)
So, yeah. I go to the coast tomorrow. I’ve been running Goonies lines through my head all day in preparation:
* “Hey youuu guuuyyssss!”
* “Choc-o-lit?”
* “You better C-sharp or we’ll all B-flat!”
* And the like…
I am such a dork. Alas, you all love me anyway. I will post some photos now so my ramblings can cease.

No comments: