4.14.2011

Lent: Day Thirty-Two


I'll be the first to admit that I'm not naturally a kid person. I mean, I like kids, and when I put forth the effort, they seem to like me in return. We have lots of fun together. But it doesn't come naturally for me.

I am not that girl who cuddles all the new babies at church or volunteers in the nursery or teaches Sunday School. I'd much rather scrub a toilet, bake goodies...or man a shovel on a water well site. 

That's why I marveled at God's sense of humor when he placed me, these two brothers, and a bag of frisbees and balls within a 2-foot radius of each other our first day in Campenaro Numero Dos, El Salvador. I mean, how could I refuse those faces?!

At first, I only humored Dani and Zeta. I felt bad for "playing" while my teammates were working up a sweat 40 feet away.

But then God did something. In me. He made me silly and animated and coordinated. I started pitching frisbees backwards, under my legs, two at a time. I made faces and laughed and got down on Dani and Zeta's level to hug them and take funny photos.

For a few precious moments, God made me a natural kid person and enabled me to live in that very moment. We hopped and rolled and tossed and ran and laughed.

I can still hear their laughter. It was one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard, made even more beautiful by God's spur-of-the-moment transformation of a somewhat awkward girl who feels much more normal with a pen or book in her hand than a kid.

And so, I suppose the lesson is this: Drilling a water well is a serious business that cures serious diseases--of body and soul. But drilling a water well is also a chance to give the gift of play and laughter to all those beautiful kiddos in the world.

I fast for that...for the laughter of Dani and Zeta and every other kid who has been or will be visited by a team from Living Water International.

2 comments:

Ethan said...

Hannah,
I can TOTALLY relate to your story. That is completely AWESOME that you were able to break down that barrier. God can do amazing things, can he not?!
Just wanted to let you know, you're not alone. Keep up the work!

Hannah said...

Thank you, Ethan! I appreciate your kind and encouraging words.