4.19.2011

Lent: Day Thirty-Six


Several people have asked me recently what I'm going to drink come Easter when the 40 days of Lent are complete and the fast is broken. I understand that the question is a conversation starter, and I always answer it politely, but I struggle with it, too. As we approach the finish line, I desperately don't want to lose sight of what this fast is all about.

It's about loving the "least of these" mentioned in Matthew 25. It's about seeing their plight and taking steps to address it. It's about realizing that my abundance is meant to be shared.

If I lose sight of why I'm participating in the H20 Project for Living Water International, I'll be like the well pictured above: unfinished and useless, just waiting for the joy of giving water to the thirsty.

I don't want to be like that well. I want to keep praying and giving and looking out from myself to the needs of others. I pray all H20 Project participants will finish strong, keeping the focus on the thirsty and not themselves. 

Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. ~Acts 8:11

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe all of us H20 project participants could set aside one day of the week, say Wednesday, to drink only water again to remind us of our commitment to those who are served by the efforts of Living Water. what say you water people???

Hannah said...

I think that sounds like a GREAT idea! I'm with you. I will drink only water on Wednesdays and enjoy the thought of praying alongside all of you for the ministry of Living Water.