4.16.2011

Lent: Day Thirty-Four



* This slideshow is a smattering of photos from all my grand adventures with my favorite gal pals. Read on to find out why I've included them in my blog about drinking water to give water through Living Water International.

When I went to El Salvador to drill water wells with Living Water International, I did a fair amount of research on the world water crisis both before and after the trip. The stats and stories are astounding. And though many remain with me, one statistic that made an exceptional impact was this one, as cited by the United Nations Development Programme:

~The weight of water that women in Africa and Asia carry on their heads is commonly 40 pounds, the same as the average airport luggage allowance.

What's more, in the dry season in Africa women and children often have to walk as many as 7 miles to even get to a water source. And more often than not, that water source is no good.

So, women are walking 7 miles every day to carry 40 pounds of dirty, disease-causing water on their heads.

When I read these statistics, I think about all my favorite gal pals. I think about them wasting their days fetching water that makes them sick instead of caring for children, or getting an education, or working to help provide for their family, or enjoying time with friends.

It makes me so sad. I love my gal pals dearly and would never, ever want to see them living in such a trap. I mean, I really admire those women around the world who sacrifice so much to care for their family, but it shouldn't have to be that way.

They deserve more.

And so, I fast to help give women around the world a better life.

* Visit the Living Water International website to learn more about the water crisis. Be sure to check out their videos, too!

No comments: