3.28.2011

Lent: Day Seventeen


After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. ~Revelation 7:9

I live in Wyoming. There are a lot of white folks here. Good white folks, but nevertheless folks who do not make our state known for cultural diversity. I think that is why I become a culture sponge when I travel.

I wander a market in Laos for hours and revel in the fact that I've understood maybe four words in all the animated conversations going on around me. I get lost in the African rhythms tippity-tap-tapped by street musicians in New York's Central Park. I soak up Salvadoran hugs and hospitality.

Even when I'm not travelling, I'm a sponge. I was that kid who checked out every country book in the children's nonfiction section at the library--about ten times each. When I lived in Denver, I regularly drove down Colfax Avenue just to smell the taco stands.

That is why I love Living Water International. They work in Africa, Central America, South America, and India. They enter into a vast array of cultures, humbly providing water and the good news of salvation in Christ. And, through God's grace, those who are participating in the H20 Project will be part of peopling heaven with every tribe and tongue and nation, just as it says in Revelation 7:9.

I fast to add to that great multitude of God's beloved.

No comments: