3.10.2011

Ash Wednesday

I don't think I've mentioned yet that my family has joined me in my Lenten fast! All of us are drinking only water and setting aside the money we would spend on other beverages to donate to Living Water International. We are excited to see how our small sacrifice will help give clean water to impoverished families around the world.

A few days ago, I hung some photos from my Living Water El Salvador trip around our kitchen as reminders of why we were not pouring out cups of coffee or glasses of juice each day. It's been fun to see these photos on a daily basis. So fun, in fact, that I'm going to share them with you.

As I was thinking yesterday about whether or not to blog each day of Lent, I realized that sharing the stories behind some of these photos would be the best way to give names and faces to just a few of the millions who suffer from a lack of clean water. I pray they will open our eyes not only to the thirsty, but to the poor and oppressed and hungry and widowed and orphans. You know, those people God commands us to care for. Let's see just how big God can expand our hearts.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hannah, you are a brave, brave girl, vowing to only drink water-- and give up coffee. I don't know if I could do it. I think if you are willing to do that for Living Water International, and are willing to take such a bold move to allow God to open your eyes, He will!