1.04.2011

Resolution

Yesterday I wrote the saddest New Year's post that's ever seen the light of day. Saddest for me, anyway. It was all about this deep, dark depression I slipped into a few months ago that derailed my life and left me with no resolutions for 2011.

It was pretty bad.

Today I realized that's not the kind of writer I want to be. It's not the kind of person I want to be, either.

Yeah, stuff happens. My best friend is facing a heart-shattering, life-shattering situation that should never, ever have happened. Another good friend lost her baby recently. The man I was kind of holding out for...well, that chapter closed.

Stuff happens. To everybody.

It's what we do with the stuff that matters. My best friend has amazed me with her grace and hope. She, in the pit of her darkness, has encouraged me to trust in God in all things.

So, I will trust. As I move to a new town, a new church, a new job, a new life, I will trust. As I prepare for moving overseas, I will trust. As I await the birth of my niece, I will trust in God to grow her into a woman after His own heart.

Trust.

That is my resolution for 2011.

Yeah, it's a little vague, a little hard to measure, but that's okay. It's what I need right now. I need it more than doing sit-ups, or getting certified in TESOL, or baking something new once a week (thus the sit-ups), or writing a letter once a month. If those other...things...happen, awesome. I'll consider them icing on the resolution cake.

No comments: