2.24.2010

Lent: Day Seven

There is a scene in the Song of Songs where the lover is gazing through the windows and peering through the lattice to see his beloved inside her house. After a while, he speaks, calling to his beloved to arise and come out and be with him. (Song of Songs 2:9-10).

I've always loved that picture of giddy love -- scurrying around the yard and peering through the lattice.

Tonight though, as I looked at the scene with God as lover and me as beloved, it took on a different feel. I still saw God as giddy in love, but I also saw him as urgent. And I saw me as...asleep, preoccupied, or indifferent. How could I not notice the one I love scurrying about outside my window, urgently calling me to come?

Having been in love before, I can tell you there were times I imagined -- dare I say daydreamed? -- the one I loved appearing on the porch, a complete, delightful surprise. The desire to see him would be so strong sometimes, I would actually go and look out the window.

From a human standpoint, I feel a bit silly confessing that. But, from a spiritual standpoint, I wish I desired to see God and be with Him as much as I did my boyfriend.

What a sweet, fun, vibrant relationship I could have with God if I was waiting for him to peer through the lattice so I could run out to meet him.

1 comment:

Jer said...

love it! love it!...