6.30.2009

El Salvador: The Food

Oh, the tortillas. I miss them. They were small, thick, and wonderful. This basket came from a woman who makes tortillas every day -- selling 60 and saving 20 to feed her family.

The villagers were responsible for feeding us lunch each day in exchange for our work on their well. I was touched by their generosity. The food they fed us is way more than they ate themselves.

Fresh squeezed pineapple juice. Carlos is making sure Dave pours it right.

Dave celebrated his birthday in El Salvador. This is his birthday potato. It has a match in it.

On the day of the dedication of the well at Campenaro Numero Dos, the local carpenter gave us coconuts and mangoes to thank us for bringing his village clean water. He gave ALL of his coconuts and mangoes -- which could have fed his family for a week. What a humbling (and delicious) experience. Americans could learn generosity from these impoverished folks.

Delores, our fantastic cook at the guesthouse. She didn't speak a word of English, but she had this voice that carried so much joy it made me want to laugh whenever I heard it. And, boy, could she cook!

Sarah about to eat some of Delores' stew.

The meal our last night in Acajutla. So good.

My friend John gave me a list of three foods I had to consume while in country: Platanos fritos (fried plantains), Horchata (a chalky greenish drink made from a local fruit), and Dulce de leche. I hit two of them in our last meal. Here I am with the platanos fritos, and the horchata is pictured with the pupusas -- a traditional Salvadoran food -- below.

Pupusas are tortillas stuffed with rice, beans and meat, topped with a pretty spicy salsa.

No comments: