10.28.2011

BMW

After returning from my 49 by 29 adventure, I took every opportunity I could to be a BMW.

Not the car.

As a lesser known acronym, BMW also stands for Burly Mountain Woman...a nickname lovingly bestowed upon outdoorsy sorts of gals by my dear friend Sarah (who is, herself, one of the best of the best when it comes to being a BMW).

There is no handbook for how to be a BMW. Just get outside and get going. And really, the burlier the better. Haul a 30-pound pack into the wilderness. Climb a peak. Kayak a river. Bike up a mountain. Sleep under the stars. Make coffee under a tree as the sun rises. Don't shower for days.

Breathe that mountain air and love every second of it.

I am lucky enough to live within an easy hour of some ruggedly breathtaking mountain country. And I'm also lucky enough to have a dad who likes to get into the hills as much as I do. We were able to take a couple father-daughter backpacking trips into the Big Horn Mountains in August, and I just want to 1) make a shout-out to my adventurous dad for his willingness to trek along with me (I had a great time, Dad!), and 2) share a snapshot or two (or twenty) from our excursions.

Near Park Reservoir in the central Big Horn Mountain area.

My mom joined us for our initial "test backpack" to Park Reservoir. Aren't they an adventurous looking couple?

Onward and upward.

Our campsite on our first trek, destination Wolf Creek falls.

Coffee! In the mountains! YES!

Me and my dad.

My dad and the giant spider web that nearly ended up on our faces.

Looking over a valley on our way down to Wolf Creek falls.

Wolf Creek.


Burly Mountain Dad.

Creek on our way into Lost Twin Lakes in the Big Horn Mountains.


Lost Twin Lakes.

Cold, fresh, refreshing. 


Our campsite near Lost Twin Lakes our first night on our way to Bighorn Peak.
 .
View of Sherd Lakes on our way up Bighorn Peak, elevation 12,324 feet.

Summit pic...sorta. We were originally headed for Darton Peak until a last-minute route change put us on our way up Bighorn Peak. We didn't have time to reach the top and get back down before darkness fell, so this is about 200 vertical feet from the summit. Still a gorgeous view, though, and that elation of reaching a goal together.




Hiking in the upper reaches of the Big Horn Mountains essentially consists of miles and miles of boulder hopping.

View towards Cloud Peak, a challenging 26-mile trek (round-trip) to 13,167 feet that my dad and I hope to do next year.

Crossing a snow field. Darton Peak is in the background.

View from our campsite on our second night in the Cloud Peak Wilderness.

So green.

We were back there somewhere.

Creek crossing.

Me and my trusty Subaru, Sam, are ready to head home.

4 comments:

J Stu said...

Beautiful. Looks like bigfoot country. Glad Sam's back up to full super power.

Hannah said...

I, too, am glad Sam's up and running up the hills again. I think he shall prove faithful now...repay me for my loyalty, you know. I wish you could have seen all the bear prints on these hikes, John. Just black bears...but plenty of 'em by the looks of it.

Blinds said...

A successful expedition performed by the entire team.

Crystal said...

Burly mountain spider.