2.22.2011

Lent for Living Water

I am now in my third year of practicing Lent. I grew up in an evangelical church in which Lent was not observed, but three years ago some friends and I decided to give it a try. I gave up my car that first year. You can read about it here, if you so desire.

Last year, I didn't "give up" anything, per se. I decided, instead, to add on a spiritual practice I'd neglected for years: prayer journaling. Like the year before, I found that I truly enjoyed the discipline. I like how Lent slows down the approach to Good Friday and gives Easter the "weight" it deserves in my mind. Spending 40 days in preparation for anything makes one take notice of it, for sure!

Just a week ago, I was looking at my calendar and realizing it was about time to choose this year's Lenten fast. That same day I received an email from Living Water International, a really, really cool nonprofit that drills water wells and conducts hygiene training to show God's love to impoverished people around the world. My friends Sarah, Dave, Ali and I went on a Living Water trip to El Salvador in June 2009. You can read about that here.

Anyway, the email included a neat video (go here to see it) and an encouragement on what to give up for Lent 2011: all beverages BUT water. Yep, that's right. No soda, no juice, no coffee, no tea. No $5 triple-shot soy lattes.

For 40 days.

The point: To appreciate the fact that you have clean water to drink and to save the money you would spend on all those other beverages and donate it to Living Water so more people can drink clean water. Also, as is customary with Lent, the longing for what you are fasting from is supposed to prompt prayer. Being the coffee addict that I am, I imagine I will be praying A LOT this season. I'm trusting that prayers can build a water well...

You heard it right, friends. I am including coffee in this beverage fast. I am committed to drinking only water from March 9 through April 23. And I imagine, as I celebrate the resurrection of my LORD on April 24, I will begin that day with the BEST French press of coffee ever poured!

Now, how about you? Will you consider joining me in this endeavor, this H20 project--even if only for 10, 15, or 20 days? Watch the video. And trust me when I say Living Water is a worthy cause. The money from 40 days of not drinking all the beverages we typically do could provide several people with clean water for their lifetime.

Wow, huh?

Think about it.

Pray about it.

And, if you think of it, pray for me, too. I can hardly write without coffee at my side. I relish a cup of afternoon hot cocoa. I relax with mint tea at night. But, I really want to do this. I am looking forward to how God will use this year of Lent in my life and the lives of the thirsty around the world.

I'll leave you with just a small sampling of photos of me drinking various beverages. Hopefully I'll be adding some pics of me drinking water to the collection...

 There will be no coffee toasting to one of the coolest murals in Montana.

 No drinking hot cocoa from a bowl. (This is in Alaska. We were backpacking and trying to pack as little as possible!)

 No coconut juice straight from the coconut.

 No cubicle desk that looks like this...

And did I mention no coffee while I write?!

3 comments:

Josh said...

This is a great and very challenging idea. I like Living Water International. Perhaps I'll join you on your water only fast. Prayers and good luck!

Hannah said...

Josh! So good to hear from you! I would love it if you joined the H20 project. I can even mail you a score card (to keep track of all the beverages you don't buy) and a wristband and some more info, if you'd like. Just message me on Facebook with your address if you want anything!

J Stu said...

aye caramba. no coffee. impressive. thanks for the post and prompting to give something up. also really like that pic of you sipping cocoa from a bowl in AK. love the cloudy lighting...