9.01.2009

Satisfied






I sometimes think that writing Bible commentaries or devotions would be one of the hardest tasks a writer could tackle. Who wants the responsibility of elaborating on God's Word? Won't my words merely get in the way of God's expression of His character, promises, beauty and love?

But, alas, we try anyway. And there is something awkwardly admirable about our efforts. After all, we are created in the image of God. Just as He sculpted mountains and splashed yellow onto daisies and inspired poets to exalt him in written word, we sculpt and color and write. Our imitations seem hollow next to creations that carry the glory -- the weight -- of God, but I think they bring Him honor.

This last weekend, my friend Sarah and I packed our car and headed to Wyoming to do some camping and hiking in my old stomping grounds. We had a wonderful time, and I will share more about it later (with more photos, of course). Right now, though, I want to talk about Psalm 104.

Each day at work, all the office staff gather to read a Psalm and pray. On Monday, after Sarah and I had returned from the Snowy Range and summiting Medicine Bow Peak, we read Psalm 104. A captivating depiction of God as Creator, its words will not leave me. I read them throughout the day. I think about them. I feel like they have planted themselves in my heart and produced something beautiful where so often there is only weeds.

* O Lord my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty. He wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind. (Verses 1-3)
* He waters the mountains from his upper chambers; the earth is satisfied by the fruit of his work. (Verse 13)

Friday night, Sarah and I slept in our tent beneath the starry tent flung over us by God. Wow.

Saturday, we watched God water the mountains from his upper chambers. We saw earth satisfied by the fruit of his labor.

Now if only I can be satisfied by the fruit of God's labor in me.

1 comment:

Lubna Saadi said...

hi there, just happened to be on your site. You got an interesting blog.

Please visit.......IndianSexMasti.Blogspot.Com