9.05.2009

Lest you forget...

THIS IS BRONCOS COUNTRY!

My friend Josh is on a year-long, 48-state bike tour. He left Nebraska just over a week ago and stopped in Colorado for a visit. We headed into town today to see what we could see. Eventually we ended up at Invesco Field at Mile High. That's where the Denver Broncos play, in case you didn't know.

But it's not like you could forget with orange and blue plastered everywhere. This is, after all, Broncos Country.

We took a tour of the stadium, learning various sundry facts along the way. Mainly I learned that I'm not rich enough -- nor do I drink enough beer -- to be a true Broncos fan. An Executive Suite at Invesco Field costs anywhere from $85,000 to $185,000 each season, with a 3-year contract required. That's a lot of mullah. A Party Suite to entertain/schmooze your pals or potential business partners costs $9,000 to $22,000 per game -- not including drinks or catering. At any given game, 800 kegs of beer are consumed. That's a lot of beer.

We also saw the visiting team's locker room, learned that the cheerleaders make $150 per game, and discovered the owner's suite is akin to the Bat Cave -- with a secret elevator hidden behind a wall with a button known only to the owner. That way he can go straigt to the field and avoid the commoner crowds. Still, I must admit, it was fun to view the field from the press box (go press!) and stand on the grass/astro-turf mix beneath the goal post. Definitely an entertaining way to spend an afternoon.

Josh in an executive suite.

This is where all the cool people hang out.

I was cool in a former life. This is me in the press room.

This is one of five giant coolers where kegs and kegs of beer are pumped to over 500 beer stations.

This is Broncos Country!

We're standing in Broncos Country!

They make touchdowns in Broncos Country!

Have we mentioned this is Broncos Country?

Invesco Field at Mile High -- in Broncos Country!


GO COLTS!

4 comments:

andy said...

I think you're a true Broncos fan, we're from Wyoming, remember? Do you remember when dad got us those Broncos shirts and we watched them play the 49er's in the Super-Bowl? The Broncos got schooled but that's still a great memory for me.

p.s. I always read your blog and would've commented before but I just finally figured out how to set up an account to comment. Yeah, I'm still figuring this internet thing out!

andy said...

Also, what's with the word verification thing? Stupid.

Hannah said...

You know me too well, Andy. Yes, at heart, I am a Broncos fan. I actually felt a bit guilty as I wrote this so tongue-in-cheek. I just found the fanatic fans and all the orange and blue a bit funny.

Those T-shirts are one of my favorite memories too. I wore mine everywhere...even though it was a bit large.

As for the Colts...I became a fan of them at the time I started enjoying watching football, so my appreciation feels more real. Then again, does it get more real than a blonde-haired Wyoming girl rooting for a team because that's who her Dad and Brother root for? Probably not.

I stand corrected.

Josh said...

At least we know where your true allegiance lies! ;)