10.23.2012

The small things, an intro

Something I'm consistently surprised by in life is how much the small things really do matter.

A bright smile in the middle of a grumpy day.

An encouraging hand on a shoulder.

An opened door when hands are full.

It is these small acts that can make a bad day a little better and a good day even greater. Conversely...

A roll of the eyes when backs were thought to be turned.

A grunt instead of a word or ten in reply.

A conversation during another's turn to talk.

These small acts can make a bad day worse and a good day grumpy.

I think these small things really being big things is a matter of...acknowledgement. Or perhaps respect. Or perhaps another more encompassing word I can't think of right now. Positive small acts say from one human to another, "I see you. I care that you exist. I honor you as at least equal to myself, or, as the Bible commands, as better than myself (Philippians 2:3)." Negative acts say, "I may or may not see you, and either way, I don't care."

Lately I have been the glad recipient and giver of positive small acts of kindness. I have also been the disgruntled recipient and ashamed giver of negative small things. These small things have mattered, and thus, I think I'll write about them for a while.

I don't wish to be petty or to keep a record of wrongs, so I'll steer clear of the bad small things unless one seems worth addressing. What I mainly want to do is keep a running record of at least one small thing I see or experience each day. I don't know how long I'll maintain this list of small things, and I can see this morphing into other blog ideas, but I do know that I want to keep observing and writing and sharing any small bits of life and wisdom God gives me to share. It's good to be back, dear readers. I've missed you.


No comments: