10.30.2010

29 in 29

I live in the Coffee Belt.

Actually, I don't. The real Coffee Belt lies in the moist, mountainous regions between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn, in places like Central and South America, Africa, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia.

But pretend with me for just a moment. Just as America has its Bible Belt in the south, I think it has a Coffee Belt in the north. Imagine a strip of land straddling the 45th parallel. In that strip of land lies such coffee-charged cities as Seattle, Portland, Chicago, and New York City.

And Kalispell, Montana. I didn't move here just for the hiking and kayaking, you know. I moved here so I could imbibe in rich, aromatic mugfuls of coffee to my heart's delight. The Flathead Valley has not disappointed.

In fact, in a tribute to how freely the joe flows here, I decided to celebrate my 29th birthday by drinking 29 cups of coffee in 29 different locations. My friend Joanna took the train in from Seattle to help document the celebrations. We had a grand time on our coffee tour, and, honestly, we barely scratched the surface of coffee-serving locales.

So, without further ado, here is the photographic evidence of my 29 in 29.

 1.) Montana Coffee Traders in Whitefish. 10 a.m. Oct. 14. Coffee free. Left $1 tip.
 After Joanna stepped onto the train platform and gathered her luggage, I immediately took her to Montana Coffee Traders in Whitefish to begin our 29 in 29 coffee extravaganza. She was a good sport about it, lack of sleep and all. Gotta love her. After grabbing cup #1, we went to Glacier National Park to gaze upon some beautiful scenery.
 Lake McDonald in Glacier with mountain peaks peeking out behind low-lying clouds.
 2.) Montana Coffee Traders in Columbia Falls. 11:45 a.m. Oct. 14. Barista: Jody. Free coffee with $1 tip.
 3.) Ceres Bakery in Kalispell. 3:10 p.m. Oct. 14. Since I work here, I was able to enjoy this cup with my coworker, Sarah. Free coffee for me, as always!
 4.) Norm's News in Kalispell. 3:43 p.m. Oct. 14. I am joined by Kalee and Stephanie. Coffee was free!
 5.) Fresh Life small group at Jason's house in Kalispell. 7:15 p.m. Oct. 14. I am joined by Fred, Jason, Taylor, Rachel, Jennifer, Isaac, Amity, Heather, Rebecca, Julia, and Amanda. My good friend Joanna, who is visiting from Seattle, took the photo. The coffee was free :).
 6.) Studio C in Kalispell. 7:50 a.m. Oct. 15. The coffee is a Passionate Harvest blend from Zimbabwe. Superb.
 7.) City Brew on Highway 93 South in Kalispell. 11:42 a.m. Oct. 15. Free with a lopsided grin to boot!
 8.) Colter Coffee in Kalispell. 1:23 p.m. Oct. 15. I paid for this cup because baristas Jessie  and Heather are stupendous and Colter Coffee is one of my favorite shops in town.
 9.) City Brew on Highway 93 North in Kalispell. 3:47 p.m. Oct. 15. Free.
 Joanna: Seattle's Best.
 10.) Borders in Kalispell. 4:18 p.m. Oct. 15. When I first asked the barista if she could fill my itty-bitty espresso cup with drip coffee for free, she said she'd have to ask a manager. Corporate policy. Then an obvious inward battle began. Ultimately, she decided to rise up and fight The Man, filling my cup for free and smiling for the photo. Cheers, Borders barista!
 11.) Cowgirl Coffee kiosk in Whitefish. 4:45 p.m. Oct. 15. No drip coffee was available so I forked out $1.25 for a shot of espresso. I then promptly spilled half the shot on my friend as I prepared to pull away. Can we say jittery? (Sorry, Joanna. Thanks for being such a good sport!)
 12.) Super 1 Grocery Cafe in Whitefish. 4:58 p.m. Oct. 15. Free! The girl working the deli counter didn't really want to be in the photo, so we cornered Kyle here and forced him to let me sweep the floor and drink some coffee with him. Good work, Kyle!
 13.) Copperleaf Chocolate Company in downtown Whitefish. 5:13 p.m. Oct. 15. Free shot of espresso with a sweetheart of a barista!
 14.) Third Street Market in downtown Whitefish. 5:40 p.m. Oct. 15. I deliver bread here, so Heather was cool with me filling my cup for free. She may just be the nicest person on my route.
 15.) McDonald's in Whitefish. 7:25 p.m. Oct. 15. This kid not only filled my cup for free, he was STOKED to be in the photo!
 16.) Boiler Room in Kalispell. 8:30 a.m. Oct. 16. Joanna and I indulged in yummy waffles here for my birthday breakfast. I paid for this cup of superb Brazil blend. Cheers, 29!
 Yeah for birthday breakfast!
 17.) Wheat Montana Bakery in Kalispell. 9:20 a.m. Oct. 16. Free coffee with a special appearance by this sharply dressed military man! *Salute*
 18.) Bonelli's Bistro in downtown Kalispell. 9:35 a.m. Oct. 16.Free.  I deliver bread here, too. The boss, Tony, is on the left.
 19.) Jersey Boys Pizzeria in downtown Whitefish. 6:30 p.m. Oct. 16. Keesha was super nice and made me feel really special by brewing a fresh pot and filling my cup for free! You want some good pizza, go here!
 20.) Sweet Peaks Ice Cream in downtown Whitefish. 7:50 p.m. Oct. 16. Okay, so that's technically not coffee in my cup...but I figured a shot of espresso ice cream was just as good! Follow that with chai ice cream in a homemade waffle cone and some good conversation with great friends, and you know you've had an outstanding birthday! Thanks, everybody!
 21.) Syke's in Kalispell. 10:20 a.m. Oct. 17. It may look like a church basement inside, but they've got great service and tasty food. Filled my cup for free and I swigged it down with this cowboy enjoying his cup o' joe.
 22.) Fresh Life Church in downtown Kalispell. 10:40 a.m. Oct. 17. This is my home church, and I think it's pretty rad that The Liberty campus serves up coffee with its theology.
 23.) Cafe Espresso in the Kalispell Center Mall. 2:36 p.m. Oct. 17. A free cup from another stop on my bread delivery route.
 24.) Cardinal True Value Hardware in Kalispell. 2:45 p.m. Oct. 17. My "barista" was Kait, and, since the "Coffee's On" sign was lit, she gladly let me fill my cup for free. I hammered it down like a pro.
 25.) Spill the Beans Espresso, a walk-in/drive-thru kiosk on Kalispell's west side. 3 p.m. Oct. 17. Free. Life is good!
 26.) White Oak C Mart Exxon station at the intersection of Highway 93 South and Highway 35. 3:20 p.m. Oct. 17. The attendant was excited to help me celebrate because her 29th was in a few days! Cheers, C-Mart 29-er!
 27.) Pick's Bowling Alley in Bigfork. 5 p.m. Oct. 17. Kyle bowled a strike in my book by giving me free coffee with a great smile and an even better shirt!
 28.) Best Western Hotel in Somers. 5:32 p.m. Oct. 17. Free lobby coffee with hazelnut cream. The desk clerk said ours was definitely the most random request she'd had all day. Huh.
29.) Tamarack Brewery in Lakeside. 6 p.m. Oct. 17. Capped my 29 in 29 adventure with something a little stronger than the usual cup o' drip. That there drink is an espresso vodka shot floated in a pint of Switchback Stout (made with dark chocolate and caramel malts). Whoowee! Hello 29!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a fun and delicious adventure! Happy 29th, Hannah!