5.01.2010

If anything is excellent...

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

This verse has been coming to mind a lot lately for me. It is one of my favorites -- and also one of the hardest ones for me to follow on a daily basis.

I know I've shared on this blog before that I struggle a bit with depression. It has steadily improved through the years, lasting for shorter durations (hours or days instead of weeks or months) and not going nearly as deep into my being.

When it was at its worst in college, there were times I felt like I was being buried from the inside, like piles and piles of heavy, suffocating dirt were pouring into me, filling me from the toes up, much like the sand in an hourglass timer.

I would stop moving my feet -- literally -- and just lay in bed and cry. Next I would get sick to my stomach and stop eating. Then, as it filled me more, I would stop talking to both loved ones and God. Eventually I'd feel like I couldn't think or focus. That is when the panic attacks would strike, leaving me paralyzed with anxiety, huddled on the floor, struggling to even breathe.

I'm happy to report I've felt none of those symptoms in probably two years! I suppose there's several reasons, ranging from taking the almighty B-vitamin, to having some really good friends enter my life, to learning how to say no when I know something will overwhelm me, to simply taking a nap when I feel tired (what a concept, huh?). Also, my parents and some dear friends (who were all likely hurt by my depression before) have done a good job of keeping me talking. My deepest thanks go to them (Ma, Pa, Jo, Lins, Shack, Bex, Sar, Liz) for their love and faithfulness.

But, back to the point of this blog, huh? And that is: If anything is excellent...

I am God's beloved girl.
The mountains are brilliant white with fresh snow.
God is a God of joy.
One of my best friends just made a lifelong dream come true by moving to Alaska.
Another best friend is about to have her first baby.
I just drank some awesome French-pressed coffee.
The puppy is sleeping peacefully.
The dogs are making me laugh.
I have friends serving (or about to serve) on the mission field.
I get to go home soon.
God is a God of mercy.
I can look out my windows onto a blanket of pine trees shrouded in mist.
God has given me an abundant life.

No comments: