1.29.2010

From Big City to Big Sky

In the last month, I've gone from city girl to country girl. 
I've gone from population half million to population 1,700 and from commuting 20 miles each day to leaving my car parked in the driveway and walking about a mile to get the mail.
The contrast is striking. 
I loved the pulse of the city, the choices of food and entertainment, and the strange anonymous community of public transportation. 
But I'm a small-town girl at heart, and the city often made me feel claustrophobic. That's why I jumped at the chance to do some ranch-sitting and writing in Montana. 
It is quiet here. Simple. I wake up with the sun, haul wood, start a fire. I brew coffee and make oatmeal on the stove. I feed the horse. I sit with the dog and scratch his ears. I watch the cats slink by. And I write and write and write. 
As the weeks go by, I feel my awareness of the world, and God, and how I relate to both, expanding.


  
 This is Wind. I find myself watching him with girl-like rapture often throughout the day.

  

  
 This is Duke. He is 19 years old and one heckuva dog.

  
 Howdy, pardner.

  

  
The walk to the mailbox. 

  

 

  
A little moonshine...


Warm and cozy.

3 comments:

Andy said...

I for one am glad you decided to leave your big city life behind and take up ranching. It's great having you up here little sis.

Hannah said...

Ahhh. I love being up here, too, bro. Thanks for giving me the opportunity!

Your comment made me feel like that warm and cozy fire picture inside.

Unknown said...

So beautiful! Sometimes I long to leave the big city behind as well! As least I've moved up in the world to have a window-side cube! haha... the little joys. How long are you up there? What are you writing?