7.24.2009

A proper farewell

Here I am bidding a proper farewell to my coffee maker. We've had many good times. I really wanted to kiss it goodbye, so I did. And I'm not ashamed.

*********************************************************************************

I've never been good at goodbyes. I avoid them, hurry them, or mar them with much awkwardness. I hold back the exuberant hug and kiss I want to give. Or I stumble stupidly through the physical motions. I wish I had more grace in such times. And guts.

A few examples:

Bye-bye best friend: I was 14 when I moved from my childhood home, leaving behind my bestest friend in the entire world. I was stoic as I lightly hugged her and waved as she drove away from my house for the last time. Too stoic. Did she even know I felt like I was dying inside? Did I ever tell her that, after she left, I ran down to my room and packed all its contents in a fit of teary teenage angst?

Do I regret such raw emotion? No. I just wish I'd let it show more. Lindsey, if you read this, please know that was a stinky day for me. And I missed you like crazy before you even pulled around the corner.

Couldn't hug my camp crush: When I was 15, I worked at a Christian camp in Montana. I was a crew girl. And, by summer's end, I was madly in love with this certain crew boy. We're talking major crush. But I was shy. I never even hinted I liked him. He never knew I admired how hard he worked, or that I thought he had the sexiest hands I'd ever seen.

Then came the goodbyes. It was my last chance to leave an impression on him. You know, shoot for some far-flung chance at a late-blooming letter romance. We were both moving down the line of hugging camp staff. I side hugged a counselor. I patted a fellow crew girl on the back. I was determined to be cool when this boy and I came face to face.

And then, he was there. "Hug?" he said. "Yeah," I answered, eking out a smile. This was it. This was my chance. I went right -- but so did he. I went left; so did he. "Wanna dance?" I joked, nervously. "What?" he answered, barely able to hear my mouse whisper.

Never mind. The line moved on. I felt like a ninny for years.

But, in an up note, we did write letters. Lots of them. And we're friends to this day.

Splittin' quick: Have I mentioned yet that I'm kind of shy? I tend to wither under too much attention. And not just mentally. My face gets red and hot. My heart moshes within. Any capacity for coherent words is lost.

Okay, maybe I exaggerate just a bit. But attention isn't my favorite thing. Typical writer, I guess.

When I left my post as a features reporter at the Casper Star-Tribune, I had to leave a really wonderful church family. But, in some attempt to divert attention, I didn't tell them until my last Sunday in town. Then I told just a few folks and split that afternoon.

I wish I could do it again. I wish I could convey my deep appreciation for all the people who inspired me there. If any of you happen to read this, please know I would have loved to bid a fond farewell. I would have loved your attention because your very existence made mine better.

Kiss him, fool: I'll keep this one short. I just want to say that I think kissing your boyfriend goodbye is perfectly acceptable. Be it a peck on the cheek or a leg-lifting, hands in the hair smacker, go for it. I wish I had. Because I desperately wanted to.

Now that we've peeked at some of my sayonara slip-ups, let me try to do it right this time.

I recently took a job in Denver, Colorado. For that, I'm excited. It should be a sweet job with solid co-workers. I'm looking forward to some urban living, some coffee shop goodness, and some new adventures. I move in a week.

But, I'm moving from my small Wyoming town. And, frankly, that sucks. I've been fighting those tumultuous good-bye emotions all week, feeling ashamed at how much I'm struggling to want to leave.

Today, though, I realized I shouldn't be ashamed of my sadness.

My parents are here, and I love them dearly. I am thankful for all our times together, and for all they've taught me. And I never really minded sharing a bathroom. There is bonding in group tooth brushing.

My mentor, Liz, is here. We have lunch and prayer time every week. I am going to miss that more than I can even express. I love you, Liz.

My good friends are here.

Sarah, I will miss your questions and enthusiasm. I will miss your hospitality and honesty. I will miss your depth of thought and your ever-ready willingness to have an adventure.

Dave, I will miss the way you tilt your head when thinking about what to say. I will miss the way you can ham it up for a photograph. I will miss your balance of practicality and go-get-em attitude.

Becky, I will miss our walks. I will miss the spontaneity of our friendship and your encouraging words. And your hugs, sister. You give the best hugs.

Nathan, I will miss your quiet example of what it means to be a God-fearing man. Please hug Becky extra for me.

Josh, I will miss your stories, borderline unbelievable though they are. I think that just means you've really lived life.

John, I will miss you. I will miss being able to throw about any idea at you and having you be game to give it a try. I will miss coffee and biking and softball and movies and road trips. I will miss just talking and joking.

I have been abundantly blessed here in small-town Wyoming. I look forward to the future. And I look forward to keeping up with you all via phone and facebook. But gosh dang, I'm going to miss seeing you.

I just want to be honest about that.

I want to say everything I want to say. I want to bid a proper farewell -- in word, at least. If I collide with you in our final hug -- or step on your toes or cry a bit too much -- you'll have to forgive me. I mean well.

3 comments:

Sar(rah!) said...

Dear Han,

I too HATE goodbye's...so I won't say one to you. Mostly because I know that our paths will continue to cross, as frequently as possible, I hope. Because, you see, some friendships don't need physical proximity. Some are so incredible that they span simple things like miles. I know good things are in store for you and I'm sooo excited to see which doors open for you next! So I'll be seeing you friend... :)

Love (and I mean it!)
Sar

The Bosnian Kat said...

I totally understand about goodbyes... I've totally been avoiding them during my move. Great post. Good luck with the move! -Kat

Liz said...

Isn't it funny...no matter what word(s) we substitue for goodbye..see ya...catch ya later...later dude...later days...stay cool...tallyhoo...TTFN...TTYL..see you here, there, or in the air...after while crocodile...see you soon baboon... they all still mean change is in the air. The only thing constant about life is change. I am so proud (and somewhat jealous) of how you boldy go out into the world to follow your heart. You are an amazing woman, Hanna Wiest. I wish you God's Speed, God's Presence, and all the JOY imaginable....hasta manana, iguana :o) In Christ's never-ending love, Liz.