5.15.2009

Two Roads

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost

I was out doing some rural field work for the Census Bureau this week. At this fork in the road, I couldn't help but think of Robert Frost's oft-quoted poem. And so, I quote it again here, surprised at how something that runs the risk of being cliche can still speak to my adventure-seeking spirit.

Truth is, I took both roads that day...for the sake of duty. Both were little traveled; on the right fork I saw bear prints, and on the left, I shared the path with elk prints and a tiny, slithering snake. Trees creaked in the wind, the sun warmed my skin, and views of Laramie Peak, still veined with snow, called me ever onward. If I hadn't had a job to do and a worried mother to report back to, I think I may have just kept walking...



2 comments:

J Stu said...

You think ol' bobby frost ever had bear dreams?...and, are these trails that could be, say, mountain biked come warmer thaws?

Hannah said...

I imagine ol' Bobby Frost likely did have bear dreams...don't all fantastically creative and talented folk? And, well, the trails were private drives that I was allowed to trespass upon due to my governmental duty, but I bet we can scare us up some mountain bikin' treks nearby. I'll look into that, for sure!