2.17.2012

Snow! Snow! Just look at the snow!

When I was a kid, one of my favorite books was "Snow," by Roy McKie and P.D. Eastman. Okay...it's still one of my favorites. I pulled it off the shelf and read it last week.

The entire book is dedicated to the sheer wonder of snow. Snow is fun and fluffy. It can be rolled into a ball and chucked at your brother's face. You can make it into a fort. You can make tracks and pictures on your backs. You can ski down a hill and make a snowman named Ned.

Seriously, if you have a son or daughter, or nephew or niece, or if a friend has a kid or you meet a kid on the street, buy them this book. Then curl up with some hot cocoa and read it to them over and over :).

My small Wyoming town hasn't received much snow this year, but the mountains just 15 miles away have gotten a fair share. Since I was recently given a pair of snowshoes, I've been able to get out and enjoy the snow in a new way.

"Do you like it in your face?"
"Yes! I like it any place."

 On our trek for a Christmas tree. This is what happens when you don't have snowshoes.


 Went snowboarding/skiing with my friends Jason and Tori. Sure felt good to be on my board again after a year-long hiatus. 

 Going up...

 Snowshoeing in Story, Wyoming.



 Making tracks near the summit on Highway 14. 






6 comments:

Joel said...

Hannah, I'm envious of your snow. Last weekend when I went to the L'Abri conference in Rochester, MN, I had hoped for snow, since they usually have a good couple inches on the ground most of the winter, but they barely had any... and here in Chattanooga, we had temps in the upper 50s again, and rain.

Looks like you've had some great opportunities to enjoy it. I may just have to wait for my first winter in Kiev for a real winter.

Hannah said...

Joel, I am envious of your myriad coffee shop choices in Chattanooga. Perhaps we can call it even? You can drink a little extra coffee for me (and plot a spiritual revolution in Kiev, since that's what coffee shops are for), and I will enjoy a little extra romping and stomping in the snow for you.

There's always the option of visiting Wyoming, too... We have decent snow into April and May.

Joel said...

Ok, I guess we can call it even. However, it sounds like a choice between snow and coffee, because Kiev gets snowy winters, but its not a coffee-city. Tea is the hot caffeinated drink of choice there... tea with friends.

Thanks for the offer for visiting your incredibly long snow-season. With trying to wrap up my support raising this spring, my time for cross-country treks is kinda tight, unless I find a number of potential Ukraine partners (individuals or churches) who would like me to come speak.

Hannah said...

Tea is good, too. Nothing like a London Fog (Earl Grey in steamed milk) to warm you up.

I knew the visit would be a long shot :). Just thought I'd toss it out there. I will ask around, though, to see if there would be any interest in Ukraine support and keep you posted!

The Bosnian Kat said...

You could have had some of our snow this year. :) I know its been a while since I connected, but I hope you are well! I loved looking at the pictures!

Hannah said...

Thanks, Kat! I am well. It's been good to see you blogging again! You did get an insane amount of snow in Bosnia. Your pictures were incredible! Stay warm :).