12.31.2011

Delight in delight

I love Christmas! I like baking and hot cocoa and candlelight Christmas Eve services. I like traipsing through thigh deep snow to get a Christmas tree. I love giving gifts. Unlike the young child who gets up before sunrise in anticipation of opening her gifts, I can hardly sleep knowing that soon my loved ones will open the gifts I made (or bought) specifically for them. I enjoy the challenge of trying to give something that will make them smile, something they would never buy for themselves or have time to create. I delight in the delight of my family and friends.

My joy in giving, indeed, every person's desire to give good gifts to friends, family, and even strangers, is a beautiful example of being created in the image of God. If I love giving, God delights in it a million, billion, God-zillion times more. Though it was an immense sacrifice for God to send his son to earth to live, die, and rise to life again as a man, I know He delighted in giving the gift that would draw his creation into eternal relationship with Him. I know He delights in our delight. So may we never stop delighting. May we see with wonder the gifts God gives every moment of every day and give Him our exuberant gratitude in return.  

Our friend's dog, Daisy, leads the way on our hunt for a Christmas tree in the nearby Big Horn Mountains.

This is what happens when you don't have snowshoes.

Our young friends on their first trek into the woods to get a Christmas tree.

Put the tree and the kids on a sled and head on out.

This year's Christmas tree gang.

Hot cocoa and a fire while setting up our tree.

Dad strings the lights.

Reminiscing about my first Christmas.

Voila! 

Christmas Eve feast.

My pastor reads a Christmas story to the kids at church on Christmas day. 

No comments: