11.13.2011

Snoozing on my 30th

My last post about turning 30 was awfully serious. True. But serious. I was able to indulge in a lot of introspection, a lot of looking back, and a lot of looking ahead, and I am thankful for that. But I also wanted you all to know how much fun I had turning the big 3-0.

My best friend met me in Casper, and we drove down to Denver for the weekend, stopping to see three more of my best friends in Douglas. On Saturday, I met up with a dear friend for coffee and two more best friends came up from Colorado Springs to tear it up in Denver with me. Then, on Sunday, my actual birthday, two more best friends (and a bonus friend who was visiting them) came down to indulge in a morning of Snoozing.

Not sleeping, mind you. Snooze is an a.m. eatery in downtown Denver that serves up the best pancakes and coffee in the world and offers more of an exuberant eating experience than just a meal. It deserves its own verb: snoozing.

We did a bunch of fun, silly things I've always wanted to do in Denver, visited some beloved favorites, and had an all around blast. But even better than that, my heart got filled to bursting with the joy of being with people I dearly love. Thank you, dear friends, for loving me in return and making me feel so special. My cheers go not to another year and long life, but to old friends, new friends, and friends-yet-to-be who give us meaningful years and full lives! Cheers!

Stopped in Douglas to enjoy lunch with Sarah and Becky and the newest addition to my circle of friends: baby Samuel. I miss you ladies terribly. Did my heart good to see you. Also enjoyed seeing my friend, Liz, for a bit. Just forgot to snap a photo.

Met up for coffee with my friend Staci and her kiddos. So good catching up!

Ben and Sarah came up from Colorado Springs. We went to a 3D IMAX. Who knew cuddle fish could cause such jump scares?

We climbed on dinosaurs.

We did lots of silly self-timed photos because I got a Gorilla Pod for my birthday from my parents. A Gorilla Pod is a bendable tripod that can shoot a photo anywhere.

We went to the Tattered Cover Bookstore...my favorite bookstore of all time. It was celebrating its 40th anniversary, so we enjoyed some cake.

Tattered Cover Bookstore. Photo courtesy Gorilla Pod.

This is something I've always wanted to do! We rented B-Cycles, also known as "those red bikes," and rode around Denver.

We pushed our bikes from 16th Street Mall up and over the river and interstate to get to one of my favorite ice cream places on the other side.

You have 1/2 hour to check your bike in at one of 52 B-Cycle stations in the city before you start accruing a larger rental fee. Makes it challenging. Here we are switching out our bikes.

You gotta go here if you're ever in Denver. (By the way, we shot this photo on a hill and I'm on the lower end... And, yeah, I'm short.)

Attached the Gorilla Pod to my bike basket and shot photos and video while riding. Wahoo!


My beautiful bestest best friend, Lindsey. So glad she could join us for this adventure. Loved road-tripping with her and miss her dearly.

Ben and Sarah rocking the B-cyles.



We went to Casa Bonita of South Park fame. Yes, it's real.


When you raise the red flag, your waiter or waitress comes running to see what you need. Raising the flag also means you want more endless sopapillas.

Lins, me, Sarah, and Ben in front of the waterfall that cliff divers dive over.

They juggle fire at Casa Bonita, too. And then they dive off the cliff into a worryingly small pool of water.

The cliff diver's waterfall.

Casa Bonita also features magicians, mariachi bands, and the haunted Black Bart's Cave.

Ahhh, how cute.



The view from our hotel room. And some frighteningly accessible ledges on the side of the hotel.

Part of the Snooze experience is sitting outside on the heated patio, drinking coffee, chatting with friends and strangers alike, and playing board games. We played Trivial Pursuit.

The hustle-bustle of Snooze.

Josh and Christi came down from Cheyenne to enjoy breakfast with us. Soooooo good to see them and enjoy a few hours together. Miss them lots.

Josh and Christi, me, Ben and Sarah, Lindsey. Best breakfast ever!

The addition of Christi's friend Stacy made it even better!

My pancake flight (blue mesa pancake made with corn and topped with chili-spiced maple syrup, blueberry lemon bar pancake, and a pancake of the day with strawberries, chocolate sauce and white mouse) came out with candles in it. Happy Birthday indeed!

Snooze! Friends! So happy!
 

2 comments:

J Stu said...

wow...pretty epic bday. well done on your 30th!

Hannah said...

Thanks, Ace! I think I should turn 30 more often.