2.06.2009

High time for Dead Noon

My brother makes movies. He is one of the few souls I know who has the guts to pursue his craft with reckless abandon...and do it well. He deserves a medal, as does his wife Marianne for supporting him.

On February 3rd his movie "Dead Noon," released by Lionsgate, hit shelves and online rental sites. Though Hollywood changed much of his original work -- including cutting a stellar score and some stellar scenes -- I am still one proud sister. Not because Andy's name is "out there" now, deservedly ready to be "discovered," but simply because he did it. He took a story idea from its conception in his mind through the writing process, the filming process, the editing process and the distribution process. With $4,000 and two years of long days on the phone and in front of the computer, he created a living story and sent it out the door to walk on its own.

As I work on my novel -- daily fighting self-doubt and the fear I'm wasting my time -- I realize more fully what an accomplishment that is. What makes it even better is the fact he's learned from all the trials of the crazy process and become an even better man through it all. He is learning, as am I, that creating without the guidance of the Supreme Creator is futile. If an artist or writer can live by that idea, he or she will, I think, always find meaning in what they've given their life to do.

Andy and me in Glacier National Park last summer.

The marquee at my hometown video store a few days before the release of Andy's movie.
Look at that. Dead Noon got top billing.

No comments: